Monday, November 24, 2008

Hi, my name is Kelley, and I saw Twilight on opening night

This weekend I saw the movie. Don't worry, these are merely my thoughts and feelings and no spoilers are contained in this post.

I acknowledge that I am a Twilight fan. I read the books at the recommendation of my sister-in-law and my mom and a few others. I read the first and was entertained. I read the second and while it did take me longer to read it because I stopped about a third of the way through because I couldn't handle how mopey Bella was, I enjoyed it better than the first. Overall, I feel like the third was my favorite. The fourth was anticlimactic. Yes, not only have I read the books, but I have put thought into how I feel about them.

This being said, I feel that they played it too safe with Twilight (the movie). My basic opinion is that the movie was boring. Maybe it's because I read the book so I knew what was happening. A good portion of the books are focused on the main characters thoughts (it's written in first person) with a smaller part of dialogue and actual events, so naturally it was difficult to capture this in the movie. My favorite character portrayals were Jasper and James. Bella was exactly how I would have expected. Her character was done very well.

I think that the movies will follow similarly to the way the Harry Potter movies have been made. The first one needed to stay very true to the book in order to ensure that all the fans were happy with it. Then once the producers/directors have everyone trusting them, they will venture out a little more and take more risks in making the movies better.

My final thought about why I didn't love the movie is probably controversial. I was not in love with the books. GASP! I do not feel that Edward is dreamy or that any man in my life will unfortnately have to live up to my fantasy of the vampire-love-of-my-life. Edward actually annoys me. And I think Bella is whiney. The magic of the books was apparently lost on me. Because of this, I think I was more critical of the books in a literary sense therefore causing my skepticism with the movie.

So there we have it. That's my sort of review. I will probably watch it again and like it better the second time around. I didn't hate it. But I'm not ordering my "I'm just a Bella waiting for her Edward" t-shirt any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Come Again Soon!