Friday, October 3, 2008

Obama said knock you out

I have never really been one to get into substantial political conversations very often. I think what I think. You think what you think. That's what makes democracy work. If I feel passionately enough, I'll say something but for the most part, I keep my opinions to myself. That being said, I also cannot resist a joke (as lame as it may be) when one comes to mind. Some of you may have noticed the new and improved Obama poster/sticker/sign.

There is some sort of story about how the artist aspired to find a design that would attract the younger generation. Also, he actually used a pose almost identical to one of John F. Kennedy, but without the pop-art coloring, of course. I guess I am technically in the younger generation of our society. And the first thing to come to my mind was not "hope" or "change" or me being immediately sold on Obama the Great. It was more along the lines of "big giant politicians face to be carried around during a riot." To best describe my first impression, I feel that I must use visuals.

Rest assured, I am not calling Obama a communist. I am making no political statements in any way. I just feel that the new Obama poster is one step closer to America adopting the use of the HUGE building-size posters with a politicians giant face. You know what I'm talking about. They're always in movies with some sort of Russian dictator. I thought the same thing when Salt Lake draped those huge banners over the buildings downtown for the 2002 Winter Olympics. And just to drive the non-political-jab point home, the last example is of Ivan Drago.

3 comments:

  1. I love the Mao Zha Dong...or however you spell his name. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah. I hadn't seen that ad before. It's a bit scary. But I agree, that's the first thing that came to my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to self: Before starting riot, must have large poster of headshot for people to carry around. Also get giant figure skater picture for wall.

    ReplyDelete

About This Blog

Come Again Soon!