Thursday, January 17, 2008

Sushi and sexy swearing Irishmen

While I was in Vegas, I was introduced to real sushi by my awesome friend Jess. Up until this point, my only exposure to sushi was from Harris Teeter or watching my mother make it when she was in her health food phase during my childhood. My experience at Sumo in Vegas was very educational. I learned all about the varying types of fish and sauces and names. Also very importantly, that if you sit at the bar, you're expected to a) tip very well b) keep buying your sushi-ist (that's a technical term) shots of asian liquor and c) if you have weed stashed in the car, please invite your sushi-ist to partake out by the dumpster. We clearly were not very good bar-eaters since we were 0-3 in the bar expectations. Nonetheless, the sushi was A-mazing.

On my newfound sushi love quest, a group of friends and me ate at Waraji in Raleigh for dinner this past Friday night. While there was no superb tipping, shots or weed, it was still very good. I don't remember the cool names of anything we ate but it was all very pretty and colorful and fun to eat. I am proud to say that I have now eaten raw fish.


Later in the evening, we saw the movie P.S. I Love You. I'd read reviews on the movie and heard it was quite the tear-jerker, which I'm not a huge fan of, but heard it was good anyway. I also knew that Gerard Butler was the male lead (whom I've had a recent dream about without even really knowing who he was. I feel this means that our lives are destined to intertwine somehow so I owe it to him to get to know him through his movies). I was skeptical of Hillary Swank. I never knew her to be successful in a chick flick, just as a chick boxer. Also seeing Gerard Butler as King Leonidas in 300, I wasn't sure how he'd take to the romantic comedy. Overall, I liked the movie. Hillary swank was cute and fun and apparently sexy spartan kings can also be romantic. It portrayed a lot of real, human emotions without getting overly sappy. I was satisfied with the ending, although some may not be (I'm leaving this vague so I don't spoil it for anyone). We all love Denny and Denny as a guitar playing Irishman was a great touch to the movie. Lisa Kudrow's character is fabulous. The soundtrack was great. Many acoustic ballads and, of course, Flogging Molly. Both Hillary and Gerard sing during the movie but unfortunately not on the actual soundtrack. I may not purchase the movie, but maybe the soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Come Again Soon!