Monday, October 26, 2009

Git-Mo Torture Mix 2009

What is your personal hell? It changes for everyone. And apparently at Guantanamo Bay, they found that hell for some of the detainees is music. Since 2002, various songs have been blasted at prisoners for hours, even days, on end, to try to coerce cooperation or as a method of punishment. In a recent article (read here), the artists whose music is being used are issuing complaints to the government, mainly on some sort of moral ground that they don't agree that their life's work should be used in such an inhumane way. (As I'm sure what the prisoners did to get there wasn't inhumane, but whatev). I think they're just ticked that someone would consider their music torture-worthy.

Some of the peeved bands include R.E.M., Nine Inch Nails, and Rage Against the Machine. Specific songs mentioned in the article include Queen's "We Are the Champions" and "March of the Pigs" by Nine Inch Nails. One former prisoner was forced to listen to rapper Eminem's song "The Real Slim Shady" for 20 days. I don't know about you but if I had to listen to "The Real Slim Shady" for 20 days straight, they  wouldn't be able to get me to cooperate with anything as I would have already shot myself in the face. And as for R.E.M., can you imagine listening to "Shiny Happy People" on repeat for 20 minutes let alone 20 DAYS?!

Also included were the theme to "Sesame Street", Don McLean's "American Pie", the Meow Mix jingle, and Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A.". So what would be YOUR torture song(s)? My list would include the following (I could name more but these were the first to come to mind):

Time of Your Life - Green Day
Tub Thumping - Chumbawamba
Poker Face - Lady Gaga
Anything by Smash Mouth (Hey now! You're an allstar!)
Landslide - Dixie Chicks
Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
When You Say Nothing at All - Allison Krauss

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! This is hilarious! I bet those artists were pissed because someone might be tortued by their tunes. I know I would be.
    I think first on my list would be the song from Lamb Chop...It is the song that never ends, it goes on and on my friends. UGH I'd die.
    Then there's
    3OH!3- Don't Trust Me, Kelly Clarkson- My Life Would Suck Without You..I'm sure I could think of tons more but I'm at a loss. Did find this though and it's quite hilarious: http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=29575

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I just might shoot myself too.

    But for some reason I have absolutely no problem with them doing this. Can't pay time, don't do the crime.

    ReplyDelete

About This Blog

Come Again Soon!